Macys digital business is the largest in NYC, one of the ten largest in the U.S., and has driven 10 consecutive years of double-digit growth. This is a unique opportunity to join a digital business with massive scale that is growing and investing in development. Were building a new type of customer-centric shopping experience at the intersection of content, commerce, and technology to help customers find and buy things they love. As a member of the team, you will be responsible for accelerating the growth, redefining the strategic long-term vision, and help integrate digital technology so our customers have a seamless experience across all of our retail channels.
Macys Inc. seeks a passionate, team-oriented Lead User Experience Researcher to join its User Experience organization to play a key role in shaping the user experience design for all digital properties across Macys.com. The Lead User Researcher plays a key role in gaining user insights that will inform the design of engaging user experiences. Candidates should have a minimum of 7 years of experience researching across digital channels. Strong candidates will have a proven track record of leading the development and implementation of world class user research studies in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment, obtaining research findings that solve for business goals and user needs, working and influencing in a cross-functional context, and advocating research and data to inform the design of user experiences. In addition to being an individual contributor, the Lead User Experience Researcher will mentor User Researchers and guide their efforts to align with Macys strategic vision. The candidate is responsible to perform other duties as assigned.
* Leads the development and implementation of user research across channel(s) and domains (business units).
* Leads a human-centered design process to create high quality user experiences.
* Defines user success metrics that gauge how well user needs are being met for assigned channel(s) and domain(s).
* Invents new and adapts existing research practices as needed, to deliver the insights and knowledge that help teams stay on track and customer focused.
* Effectively collaborates with executives, managers, teams, designers, and stakeholders to identify user research opportunities on user-facing products.
* Partners with other customer data teams (e.g. consumer insights, analytics, etc.) to ensure user research efforts are coordinated with other customer data teams.
* Serves as a subject matter expert on our customers behaviors, needs, and values for assigned channel(s) and domain(s), as well as the CX organization.
* Helps teams understand customer needs, pain points, attitudes, and behaviors through thoughtful and actionable research that can inform both tactical and strategic efforts.
* Mentor a team of skilled UX researchers to plan and execute advanced methodologies at a high level.
* Champions user research throughout the company and contributes to making it an essential process for improvement and innovation.
* Report and present insightful findings with actionable recommendations to key partners (design, product, engineering, and marketing).
* Quickly synthesizes qualitative and quantitative data to develop a better understanding of our customers, give insight into business/user value, and identify potential customer and business risks.
* Is a highly effective presenter and influencer who can bring the voice of the customer to life.
* Excellent communication and analytical skills; with the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audience levels.
* Minimum 7 years user research in all areas of user research (qualitative and quantitative research) across all digital interaction experiences (mobile and web).
* Bachelors degree in Human Factors, HCI, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology, or related field. Masters degree preferred.
* Strong thought leadership and user research skills, including research experience across different methods, with both qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
* Deep knowledge of implementing a variety of research methods (e.g. ethnography, contextual inquiry, in-depth interviews, surveys, online remote testing methodologies and tools, lab observation/logging tools, concept testing, usability testing, A/B or multivariate experimentation testing, etc.).
* Strong verbal and written communicator with all levels of business leaders; ability to influence and cultivate strong relationships with key business stakeholders and executives in the organization.
* Strong ability to communicate and influence product management and user experience designers to incorporate user research findings into product designs.
* Excellent negotiation skills across a variety of audiences; can successfully advocate among peers and to executive leadership.
* Strong ability to inspire, develop, and coach team members.
* Excellent time management and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, at various stages of their development.
* Must have a strong research portfolio that clearly demonstrates using a variety of research methods to drive decision making in an organization.
* 50% Development and execution of user research across channels
* 20% Strategic thinking, developing POVs to inform product vision
* 10% Collaboration and communication with all projects and initiatives to ensure consistency and clarity
* 10% Monitor and evaluate user research studies conducted by user research team members, monitor integration of user research into designs, development of team members
* 10% Personal development
* Experience: Minimum 7 years user research in all areas of user research (qualitative and quantitative research) across consumer mobile applications, websites, or retail stores.
* Education: Bachelors degree in Human Factors, HCI, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology, or related field. Masters degree preferred.
Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to read, write and interpret business and technical documents. Create and present documentation, findings and points of view material
Mathematical Skills: Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and analytical skills
* Reasoning Ability: Must be able to work independently with some supervision. Consistently demonstrates regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
* Physical Demands: This position involves regular ambulating, sitting, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment. Involves use of hands and fingers for typing on keyboard and using a mouse. May be a need to move or lift items under 10 pounds.
* Other skills: Thought leadership profile, advanced user research skills, and excellent negotiation skills.
* Decision Making: Leads user research, tireless advocate of the customer, influence on project vision and implementation, advisory role for cross-functional teams and groups.
* Supervisory Responsibility: None
* Work Hours: Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs
What we can offer you!
* Opportunity to exposure to high visibility / impact projects
* First-hand experience to help define the future of online and physical commerce at massive scale
* Exciting, challenging problems to solve - you'll never have a boring day at the office
* A refreshingly fun work environment where you will collaborate with a smart and talented team
* A chance to learn and participate in the growth of NYCs largest retailer
This job description is not all inclusive. Macys Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment
Sugar Land, TX